Friday, September 09, 2011

What should you expect being a foreigner touring South Korea : Part 1

This is really my personal view based on my experience during my past visit to South Korea. Being a foreigner walking around on the soil of South Korea you can expect:

1.People often will give you a look of curiosity especially the older generation. You never heard about South Korea till you watch Winter Sonata, maybe they never see you too till recently. Just give them a smile and you will receive one too.
2.People will staring or look at you twice especially if you are foreigner wearing hijab. There was once, an ahjuma (married lady) staring at me while we were riding a subway till she get out from the train. A couple talking to each other and wondering why I cover my hair and from where I came in Korean language without knowing that I can understand them. And lucky me one ahjuma asking me why and with a minimal Korean I tried explaining to her. I wish I can know more Korean that time. And after all, you will be a center of attraction which you may not experience it here. Just enjoy it!!!
3.Korean always assumes that I’m an Indonesian or Singaporean. Which I will gladly explain. I’m Malaysian! and you will be surprise that they love our beaches, mountains and weather
4.Some of them wonder what language that we speak in our country
5.South Korean only has 1 race and they think that they are 1 family. If some of them bump into you and just walk away, please don’t be misjudge them as rude. They used not to apologize for that as it just an action that can be forgiven as you are family (but sometimes i do give a stare :) )
6.English maybe a barrier for a communication at South Korea but basically the younger generation nowadays can understand and speak English. Don’t expect them to be fluent as they learn it like us as 2nd language but the environment not requires them to use it extensively. But, hey!!! Body language always is survivor! And you may sometimes surprise that some of them is really fluent!!!
7.If you go to Rome, be a Romanian … Learn some basic Korean language will not hurt you. And Korean will be delighted if you try to speak Korean with them. At least this magic word “Kamsahamnida” @ Thank you .. I never failed to receive praised from Korean with my limited and broken Korean as for now ! :)

No comments: