Thursday, April 12, 2012

FINDING ME AT GANGNEUNG : FIRST STEPS

My Korean friends never have been to Gangneung before so they can’t give me any advice of that place. And I can’t find much info; I mean “budget” info of that place. Without having my accommodation booked earlier or have no idea on how should I move around, but I’m more than thrill looking at the long list of things to do at Gangneung.
Info ..info and info ... the first thing I looking for at the bus station is a tourist info counter. I’m glad that South Korea is really well prepared regards to tourism info and I am glad that the tourist guy is a nice guy that willing to help me find my accommodation. It sounds weird for me at the first place to ask where I should find an accommodation here at Gangneung coz I never done it before. But lucky me, opposite of the bus terminal 4 – 5 motels was there. So, I walked to the furthest motel in hoping that I can get a room for less than 50,000 won pernight. And thank god that at last I managed to settled down with 40,000 won pernight (room with internet and desktop)…..hehehehe…I am happy. It was 5.00 pm when I looking at Gangneung bus terminal from my motel window, tomorrow I will explore Gangneung ..murmuring to myself. No town, no beach nearby like I expected so I kinda nervous thinking that how far the places I planned to go will be from the bus terminal. But tomorrow I will think about it, tomorrow ..not tonight coz tonight I need to sleep.
My motel room - resting while watching 2Days 1Night 
Gangneung bus terminal from my motel room window
I woke up early offering my Subuh prayer and open up again Gangneung map given by the tourist guy and the inter-bus time table. After a long ponder, I decided to take taxi instead to save my time. And knowing that no English announcement inside the bus, I really want to minimize the attention I will get as a foreigner when I rode the bus and need to ask around. I bet in this place, the number of foreigner will be less and after 2 weeks being the “center of attention” back at countryside, I just want to go low.
My target travel place:
1st Day:
  1. To ride Sea Side Train and stop at Jeongdonjin Station (The nearest Station to the sea in the world)
  2. Sandglass Park
2nd Day:
  1. Gyeongpodae Pavillion
  2. Ujukheon House
3rd Day:
  1. Cho-Dang Bean Curd Village
  2. Anmuk Beach
  3. Jungang Market
"Ahjussi, Gicha Yok Kaseyo" I rode my taxi and asked the driver to take me to train station where i should buy my Seaside Train ticket today. I can't miss the 10 am ride as there are only 2 times a day train in operation. When i arrived, nobody at the counter selling the Seaside train tickets. I've been standing there about 5 minutes till a women staff came and entertained me. "Gicha Pyo Obsoyo". What? no tickets? Why? I can't understand half of her words explaining why no tickets sold today which i don't really care. "Kerom, naeil ottaeyo? How about tomorrow? hehehe.. tomorrow i will come again.... Ticket will be available tomorrow!!!
There goes my plan .. huh..what should i do? my second day itinerary is now ON for 1st day!!!Gyeongpodae Pavillion wait for me!!!

Seaside Train : A special train (how special it is??? wait for my next entry) 


How to get to Train Station: Taxi : Ride a taxi near to Bus station for around 2,700 won.. Cheap!!! around 5 - 10 min Bus : uhuksss..lost my bus time table..but you can get it at tourist ingo kiosk outside the bus terminal.

No comments: